Thursday, January 8, 2009

College Football


I have to admit that I really like College Football. I am a Longhorn fan all the way and this year I could not avoid cheering for the Texas QB as he played in some of the most exciting games of the year. What amazed me about Colt McCoy was his commitment to his faith as well as his determination to do his best in the field. I was amazed to see the interview right after Texas defeated Ohio in the Fiesta Bowl. The first words that came out of the MVP of the game had to do with this recognition of God not only as his personal Lord and Savior but also as the One who deserves the credit for the victory. It is great to see young people willing to stand for their faith and their values in the midst of a society that keeps mocking Christianity and its adherents. Today is another day, and today is Florida's QB who is in the spotlight. I happen to like OU's QB simply because he is a great passer, but I have to say that Tebow is not only one of the greatest QBs I have ever seen, but also another man that is openly committed to his Christian faith. And that is what distinguishes Tebow and McCoy from the rest, their excellence as athletes in two of the top football programs in the nation, but even better their open commitment to their Christian faith inside and outside the field.

10 comments:

  1. I am also a huge college football fan and agree with you about these two young men. What is sad is that you don't see this from the young men at Catholic Universities, like Notre Dame and Boston College.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately you are correct..... and that is indeed sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Fr. Fernando! So cool you have a blog! Have you seen the movie "Facing the Giants"? It's about a high school team, but very faith-filled and inspiring!

    Also, never got to tell you, but I'm so glad you're back in California!

    God bless,
    Marianne Soratorio Dyogi =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard....now I know of 3 blogs by SPCers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JimAroo, who's the third? Are you counting John Cahill?

    Father, I'm very excited that you have a blog now, even if the first post is about something as dull as football. ;)

    But speaking of Christian athletes, baseball's MVP in 1988 was Orel Hershiser and he went to my church. I was so excited one Sunday when he was going to be pitching an important playoff game that afternoon but he made sure to come to church in the morning. He wrote a lot about his faith in his autobiography "Out of the Blue"-- a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the movie Facing the Giants, I loved that movie, very inspiring indeed! The only thing missing in that movie were the Longhorns :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit while I'm not a Longhorn fan by any means, these stories of Christians living their lives in the public square are great examples (even if they're not Catholics ;), though Philip Rivers of the Chargers is ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Joe, is Philiph Rivers a committed Catholic?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, he is, very active and committed in his Catholic Faith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well..it's not what I expected but he wrote about football too in his blog!
    http://godzdogz.op.org/index.html

    ReplyDelete