Saturday, March 21, 2009

St. Faustina and the Practice of the Present Moment

To practice mercy and compassion, St Faustina wrote of the importance of living in the present moment and using it to love God and others with all our hearts. In her diary, she said that
“only the present moment is precious to me, as the future may never enter my soul at all”
She aimed to use the present moment as best as she could because it is the present moment that truly belongs to a person. As a result, to ward off fears and doubts in her soul she would pray,
“Jesus, be with me each moment; and no fear will enter my heart”
By doing this, the doubts that racked her soul from the very beginning of the fulfilment of her vocation and until her death at 33 were always faced with courage and trust in God’s compassion, love and mercy.

2 comments:

  1. St Therese of Liseux was very much into the present moment and Brother Lawrence too. St Therese's teachings on it taking one moment at a time really got me through when I was in very severe physically for a long length of time

    ReplyDelete